Common Causes And Remedies For Water Retention
The most common symptoms of water retention in the body are bloating, puffiness and swelling. Luckily, these symptoms can be treated easily just by some changes in lifestyle. People are wrong when they think that water retention is due to the consumption of too much water. In fact, the World Health Organization claims that adult men should consume 3.7 liters daily, while adult women 2.7 liters, but 30% of people do not drink enough water.
The main factors why people suffer from water retention is because they are not physically active or because they have too much sodium in their bloodstream. There are other factors as well, such as kidney issues, hormone changes, heart issues and certain medications. This issue won’t be solved by drinking less water, in fact, it will only lead to dehydration.
You can try home remedies to treat the condition.
- Cranberry juice–it will help you flush out excess water since it is a natural diuretic. Make sure to drink 100% natural cranberry juice but diluted with water since it is high in sugar.
- Raise your feet–in order to move fluids from your feet and ankles, you should lie down and raise your feet above your heart. Counter this treatment with exercises in order to keep the fluids flow.
- Replace salt with herbs–instead of using salt, try to replace it with tasty and nutrient-rich herbs like oregano, rosemary, chives and thyme because excess sodium leads to water retention.
- Garlic– consume more garlic since it cleanses the body from toxic and relieves water retention. All you have to do is to eat at least one or two cloves on an empty stomach every morning on an empty stomach.
- Walk, swim, and cycle–exercise on a daily basis will also help you get rid of water retention since sweat will remove the excess water from the body, but it will remove the toxins and excess sodium as well. As a result, the fluids will be in motion. You can dance, walk for half an hour after dinner, do some gardening etc.
- Bananas, spinach, and dates–make an excellent and delicious smoothie just by combining dates, bananas and spinach. You can also add some apples, raspberries, strawberries and bell peppers since they are a rich source of potassium, and potassium deficiency is a cause of water retention.
- Cut out sweets– the most affected people of water retention are diabetics since it is caused by insulin’s inability to flush sodium out of the body. In order to get rid of water retention, make sure to cut out all sugars from your diet.
- Parsley tea– this tea acts as a natural diuretic which flushes out excess water. Just make sure to drink it 3-4 times a day.
Make sure to consult your doctor immediately if the abovementioned treatments don’t help you.