Did you know you could do this? Here’s a great recipe worth saving.
Medicinal wines date back thousands and thousands of years ago into ancient history. Egyptian wine jars have been discovered with residues of herbs and resins, some dating back more than 5,100 years. This may help to explain why the famous physician, Hippocrates (ca. 460-370 BCE), proclaimed that, “Wine is fit for man in a wonderful way, provided that it is taken with good sense by the sick as well as the healthy.”
The famous 12th century German mystic, Hildegard of Bingen, actually recommended herbal wines such as lungwort wine for emphysema, honey/parsley wine for heart health, and unsweetened lavender wine for liver health.
Unfortunately, conventional wine today, like conventional food, is full of toxic chemicals like herbicides and fungicides and other unwanted additives. As a result, people are increasingly looking for healthy alternatives.
There are two primary methods to making a medicinal wine; The first is to use an organic wine and then steep herbs into it, and the second is to make the wine yourself which is much more gratifying.
- For every half liter of wine, use approximately 1 ounce of dried herbs/spices.
- Put the herbs in a bottle or jar and pour the wine over them.
- Cap tightly and shake well.
- Store the jars in a cool place, out of direct sun light but make sure they are easy to access since you will have to shake them up at least once a day for 1-3 weeks.
- Strain (filter) the herbs from the wine with the use of a strainer and a clean cotton cloth, and pour into a clean jar or a bottle.
- Lastly, you can add some organic sugar or raw honey to sweeten the taste as you like.
Some quick recipes you can use include;
Vanilla Rose Infused Wine
Organic white wine
1 ounce of organic rose petals
2 organic vanilla pods
Spicy Red Infused Wine
Full-bodied organic red wine
1 Tablespoon organic cinnamon chips
1 Tablespoon organic ginger root
1 teaspoon organic whole allspice
1 teaspoon dried organic juniper berries
1 teaspoon organic whole cloves
1 teaspoon dried organic orange peels
Delectable Cacao Infused Wine
Dry or sweet organic white wine
2 Tablespoons organic roasted cacao nibs
1 Tablespoons organic cardamom pods
1 Tablespoons organic orange peel, dried
Ingredients (organic is always best);
- 1 whole root ginger, peeled, 1 kg (2.2 lb) sugar,
- rind and juice of 2 lemons and 2 oranges
- 1 banana
- A good pinch of cayenne pepper
- 200 g (8 oz) of raisins or golden raisins
- Yeast compound
- 1 large pot of tea.
Squeeze the oranges and lemons and then slice them and also slice the banana.
Grate the ginger and add the raisins, cayenne pepper, and 450 g (1 lb) of organic sugar.
Place the ingredients in a bottle or jar.
Make a large pot of regular tea and then pour it over the ingredients in the bottle or jar.
Allow the organic sugar to dissolve and the mixture to cool, then add a general purpose yeast compound.
Leave this concoction to ferment for at least a week, adding tea until the jar is about two thirds full.
Then strain (filter) the fruit and ginger and finally return the strained liquid.
Add the rest of the sugar and top up with tea if necessary.
Continue to ferment for another week, then bottle and enjoy!
Please share this with your friends and family, so many people LOVE wine but so few people know that most are quite unhealthy, and that there are actually healthy organic cost efficient alternatives