One Of The Main Reasons For Air Pollution In Your Home Is Fabric Softener, Here’s How To Make Your Own At Home
Fabric softener is presented as a synonym for freshness, comfort and sweetness, but most of them contain many toxins which through our skin can easily enter our body. They will cause irritation which can lead to many health problems and they can be especially harmful to children.
These are some of the ingredients that can be found in fabric softeners:
– Chloroform – in the past this substance was used for anesthesia and later on it was discovered that it can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmia. If you inhale its vapors you may experience nausea, vomiting, dizziness, consciousness, drowsiness etc. It can have negative influence over your heart health, liver and kidneys. When exposed to heat it can have even worse effects.
– A- Terpineol: it can cause disorders in the Central Nervous System (problems which are connected with the spine and brain), including: dementia, Parkinson’s disease, strokes, seizures, multiple sclerosis, ADD etc. Other early symptoms include blurred vision, dizziness, headaches, memory loss, hunger, disorientation, aphasia, pain in the spine and neck, numbness in face etc. It can also lead to irritation of the mucous membrane and respiratory depression, fatal edema or pneumonia.
– Benzyl alcohol – it can irritate the upper respiratory tract and lead to disorders in the Central Nervous System, such as: nausea, vomiting, drops in blood pressure, dizziness and headaches.
– Benzyl acetate – this substance is connected with pancreatic cancer. If you inhale its vapors it can irritate the respiratory passages and your eyes. Another way to absorb this substance is through skin.
– Ethanol – this substance can cause disorders in the Central Nervous System as well.
– Pentane: in case of inhalation it can be very harmful.
– Ethyl acetate – another substance that can cause irritation of the respiratory tract and skin. It can lead to loss of consciousness and serious headaches and cause damage to the kidneys and liver.
– Camphor is another hazardous substance. It can be easily absorbed and it can lead to irritation of throat, nose and eyes. It can also cause confusion, dizziness, nausea, convulsions and twitching muscles.
– Linalool – it is a narcotic which can lead to many Central Nervous System disorders and respiratory problems.
– Phthalates – when it is used in scented products the scent will last longer. It can cause problems in the reproductive system and cause breast cancer.
– Limonene – it is carcinogenic and can cause irritation to skin and eyes.
– Many fabric softeners contain tallow, which is a form of animal fat.
Manufacturers are familiar with the toxic chemicals in their products. Most of them have a warning that they should not be used for children’s nightwear. Some of them have big pictures, but most of them have small warnings, which the consumers do not notice.
It is very easy to make your own fabric softener and they are cheap as well. You won’t be using any chemicals. Vinegar can be used for removing soap residue and get rid of static reduction while drying. It is nontoxic and very cheap. It contains a little bit of potassium and sodium which can soften hard water.
Homemade fabric softener
You will need:
• 1 gallon of white vinegar
• 30 drops of your favorite essential oil
Combine the ingredients and pour them in a container.
How to use it:
Before using the mixture dilute it with water. For normal load use ¼ cup of the mixture and ¾ cups of water. During the final rinse cycle add the softener in the machine.