One of the plants most subjected to detailed research nowadays is turmeric. There are more than 5600 published and reviewed studies on this plant and its main component – curcumin. Our research alone has lasted for five years and we have discovered more than 600 applications of this plant for therapy, as well as prevention, but it also has over 175 benefits for the physiology.
Turmeric getting a lot of attention
All of the above mentioned researches have confirmed that this plant can be thought of as a sacred plant, and it is proved that can replace many of the conventional remedies, some of them being:
- Lipitor/Atorvastatin (a medication used for curing cholesterol): there is a study from the journal Drugs in R & D from 2008 that says that with the preparation of curcuminoids from Turmeric, a very similar effect to the Lipitor medication is achieved on the endothelial dysfunction (responsible for artherosclerosis) in patients suffering from inflammation and oxidative stress as a result from type 2 diabetes.
- Corticosteroids (steroid medications): a study from 1999, published in the Phytotherapy Research journal confirmed that the pigment of the turmeric, saffron colored, known as curcumin has the same effects on Chronic anterior uveitis, an inflammatory eye disease as the steroids. A study from 2008, published in the Critical Care Medicine journal, discovered that curcumin can be used for the same purposes as dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, as a protection from down-regulating inflammatory genes which can cause injuries during lung transplantation. A study in Cancer Letters, from 2003, also had found that curcumin has the same effect as dexamethasone for the lung ischaemia-repurfusion injury.
- Prozac/Fluoxetine & Imipramine (a medication for depression): a study from the Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica journal in 2011 confirmed that curcumin can reduce depression in animals, having the same effect as the aforementioned medication.
- Aspirin (a blood thinner): a study published in Arzneimittelforschung journal, 1986, proved that curcumin can help patients prone to thrombosis and those who need anti-arthritis therapy.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: in a study from 2004, published in the Oncogene journal, it was said that turmeric’s ingredients, curcumin and resveratrol, have the same effects as aspirin, ibuprofen, phenylbutazone, sulindac, indomethacin, diclofenac, naproxen, dexamethasone, tamoxifen and celecoxib. Those effects are of anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative nature and fight the multiplication of tumor cells.
- Oxaliplatin (a drug used in chemotherapy): the International Journal of Cancer in 2007 published that curcumin can be compared to oxaliplatin when it comes to its antiproliferative effects in the colorectal cell lines.
- Metformin (a drug for diabetes): study from 2009, published in the Biochemistry Research Community journal found that curcumin has positive effects in fighting diabetes. It galvanizes the production of substances that increase glucose uptake and prevents the activities responsible for glucose production in the liver. In addition, it is important to say that curcumin in the form of tetrahydrocurcuminoids (THC) was proved to be more effective than metformin in the aforementioned cause 500-100,000 times.
Turmeric studies as cancer treatment
Turmeric has been proved to have outstanding therapeutic characteristics when it comes to drug resistant and multi-drug resistant cancers. There are substances that are efficient against these types of cancers resistant to both chemotherapy and radiation, but turmeric has been proved to be the best.
There are about 54 studies that show that curcumin can kill or sensitize drug resistant cancer cells unlike conventional treatment, and 27 other studies which show that curcumin can also kill or sensitize multi-drug resistant cancer cells, which, again, is not the case with conventional treatment.
For many years turmeric has been used in many cultures as either food or medicine, and now there are even more proves which clearly show that it should be used in cancer treatment as well.
The best solution, still, would be if we used organic turmeric in small doses everyday, so that it would help us prevent many diseases. The food we eat should be rich in nutraceuticals, which means that we should nourish ourselves rather than cure and medicate ourselves.
Don’t Forget To Share With Your Friends And Family On Facebook, As You Might Help Someone In Need!